Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Good eats in Vallejo – The Original Red Onion

Located off of the i-80 freeway in Vallejo, CA, a small bedroom town between two other small towns, Benicia and American Canyon, is The Red Onion. If you’re passing through on your way to Tahoe or Reno and feel like some good food, try this place out.

Their burgers are made to order right in front of you in their open kitchen. Prepared with care and grilled to perfection, these burgers are great. One of my favorites is the Burger Supreme. It comes with an egg, mushrooms, cheese, and all the regular toppings. It is yummy. Their chili burger which is served open faced and drowning in chili is awesome, too, as are the jalapeno rings. The jalapeno rings are deep fried to a crisp and served with ranch which goes perfectly with them. My wife craves their garlic fries each time we go. For the kids, they love the grilled cheese. Many times one of my kids will order a second one because they think it's that good.

They don’t only do burgers, they have a wide variety of items on the menu. From fish dinners and fish & chips to pizza sandwiches and grilled chicken salads. Deli sandwiches, Philly cheesesteak and pulled pork sandwiches. Quite a variety that I’m sure you’ll find something you’ll like.

If you prefer Asian bubble drinks or smoothies over standard soda or iced teas, they have a place they order from that’s on the same property. From there you can have Thai iced teas, strawberry-banana smoothies, and other slushy type drinks. They are made quickly and brought to your table.

I’ve yet to try Karl’s homemade desserts which many say are quite good. From the looks of them nicely displayed in a glass case by the front, I don't doubt them. I’m just too stuffed by the time I’m done with my main meal that I’ve never had any room. As soon as I do though, you bet I’m going to blog about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment